InfoAuthor: Dave "Zoid" Kirsch
Capture the flag offers an exciting variation on team play. It gives meaning to base defense along with offensive positioning and strikes.
The basic premise is: attack the enemy base, grab their flag than take it back to your base. In the variation I've written into Quake, you must touch your base flag when carrying the enemy flag in order to score.
The RunesRunes are spawned randomly, one of each with an unique power. A player can only carry one rune at time and there are only four in the level at once. You can get a rune by finding it, or by fragging the player who has it and picking it up after they drop it.
The Rules1. Two areas of the map are designated as base encampments.
2. When you join the game (or enter the level) you are assigned to a team. Depending on the configuration of the server, you may change teams; if you are allowed to change, you will lose your frag count when changing. You are spawned at your team's base. If you die, you are not spawned at the base, but at one of the deathmatch start spots. This way, you don't kill a guy defending his the flag at the enemy base and he comes back to life immediately there.
3. The flags are based on the medieval key models. If you pick up the enemy flag, you must return to base and touch your flag in order to score. Note that if you get back to the base, your flag might not be there if the other team has it! Get the rest of your team to go frag the enemy player and get your flag back!
4. When a player carrying the enemy flag touches his flag he will complete a successful capture. He gets a bonus of 15 points. Everyone else on his team gets 10 points.
5. If you kill an opposing team player who has your flag he drops it. You also get 2 points. If you touch your flag, it will teleport back to your base. You also get 1 point as a recovery bonus. This gives base defenders a reward for guarding their flag.
6. Since everyone starts at their base after level change, or joining the game, the team will have to work out who is going to go offensive and try to get the enemy flag, and who will play defense by staying at base and guarding the flag. Yes, this is camping, but its camping with a cause!
7. You can communicate only with teammates by using messagemode2. Put this in your id1\autoexec.cfg file:
bind r "messagemode2"
And then whenever you need to talk to your teammates, hit 'r'
taken from the official website
InstallationSimply have to unzip all the files to the directory [...]/quake/ctf/.
Start with the v4.0 Client, then the v4.2 Server followed by the v4.21 Upgrade. If you don't want to host a game, you only need the v4.0 Client however.
How to playRun Quake with the parameter -game ctf
You will need to bind a few commands. Copy these to the bottom of your [...]/quake/tfc/autoexec.cfg file:
Star Trek: TQS
Aliens vs Predator
Command & Conquer
Duke Nukem 3D
Jedi Knight II
Quake III Arena
Red Alert 2
ST: Elite Force