InfoIf you thought all action games were the same, think again. Half-Life's intricate environmental challenges, rich story-line, and frighteningly intelligent adversaries add up to a new kind of challenge--one that demands you use your weapons and your wits. Monsters don't walk blindly into your gunfire--they're cunning as hell and they want to live as badly as you do. Friendly characters aren't cannon fodder--they're critical to your success. Add 16-bit color, machines you control, and realistic 3D sound effects and you've got a game that is so alive, so intelligent, so real, you'll swear it has a pulse.
ADVANCED GRAPHICS ENGINE
SKELETAL ANIMATION SYSTEM
32-PERSON INTERNET MULTIPLAYER
Magazine features• Computer Gaming World #157 - Aug 1997
Quake Lives On
• Computer Gaming World #158 - Sep 1997
• Computer Gaming World #159 - Oct 1997
• Computer Gaming World #160 - Nov 1997
• Computer Gaming World #161 - Dec 1997
3 page Assasin ad
Monster Buyer's Guide
• Computer Gaming World #163 - Feb 1998
Post-reboot print ad
• Computer Gaming World #166 - May 1998
Security Complex ad
• Computer Gaming World #167 - Jun 1998
Voodoo 2 ad
• Computer Gaming World #168 - Jul 1998
Office complex ad
• Computer Gaming World #169 - Aug 1998
Falcon Northwest promo
Voodoo 2 ad alt
• Computer Gaming World #170 - Sep 1998
+100 Hot New Games
• Computer Gaming World #173 - Dec 1998
Holday Top 100
• Computer Gaming World #175 - Feb 1999
Source code availabilityThe only sources that have been released are game-logic as part of their SDK.
Your only option for a fully open clone of Half-Life is Frag-Net's own FreeHL.
How-to-play On-lineYou need to port-forward 27015 (UDP) in order to host a server.
The original disc release is not playable out of the box, however you can grab fragnet.lst and place it in your valve/ directory and launch the game with the command-line parameter:
hl.exe -comm fragnet.lst
That's all! You can also overwrite woncomm.lst if you want it to be permanent.
The digital version requires the proprietary Steam client, which is not available on most platforms. The multi-player there works out of the box, but is incompatible with any other version.
Aliens vs Predator
Duke Nukem 3D
Jedi Knight II
Quake III Arena